Full Time / Remote / Close Date 8/28/2020
Scoot Science is building a virtual window into the ocean for marine stakeholders through ocean observing, analysis, and forecasting. We give our customers a critical edge for marine operations, risk management, and planning, by pairing the best available ocean and atmospheric data with in house analytics and visualization.
If you love the ocean and science, are focused on sustainable human interactions with the environment, and excited about the intersection of technology, ocean data, and decision making... let’s talk.
We are hiring enterprising and motivated software engineers and computer scientists with excellent development and coding skills. These team members will contribute to and help design our Sea State Dashboard, thus bridging the gap between ocean hardware sensors, database infrastructure, and user experience for our aquaculture customers.
The Scoot Science Team
Our team is distributed and we practice remote work. We all communicate daily through formal and informal means to foster a collaborative work environment. When not limited by social distancing, we participate in quarterly in-person meetings to focus on team building and strategy. We also strongly encourage all of our team members to engage in conferences and trade shows, and to diversify their skills through professional development.
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Extensive hands-on work experience developing web-based applications, preferably in a SaaS environment
- Proven experience working across all levels of the development stack
- Experience for setting up user authentication, permissions, and notifications
- Ability to weigh relative costs, in development time and money, of various technical approaches
- Creativity and the ability to solve complex problems without a roadmap
- Strong spoken, written, and technology communication including: using metadata, well documented code, and team based revision history
- Recognition that work is a marathon and that quality of work time is more important than quantity
What you’ll do
As a software engineer at Scoot, you’ll need to first and foremost be a generalist working within a small team of experienced people. In this position, you’ll have broad responsibility for web development and will be working on all aspects of our web-based dashboard. This includes doing work on visual design, UI development, and backend API interaction. With the rest of the engineering team, you’ll have a great deal of freedom and responsibility to define how the dashboard works and how it is developed.
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Onboard and learn our internal communication and project management workflows
- Set up your remote work environment and access all of our tools and resources
- Learn the landscape of our existing dashboard architecture, data lake, data warehouse, and toolboxes
Within 3 months you’ll:
- Design and build robust, simple, and modular tools for solving ocean data problems
- Collaboratively implement and tune our internal development, testing, and project management practices
- Develop database interactions and analysis workflows, routines, and pipelines
Within 6 months you’ll
- Collaboratively implement internal development and project management goals
- Build and help design robust and intuitive ocean data dashboard
- Build and consume effective APIs
- Constantly research new engineering techniques and advocate for novel solutions to connect an understanding of ocean change to customer needs
Still interested but not quite an exact match?
We’re always looking for a motivated A+ generalist. Let us know how you think you could fit in at Scoot Science! We keep track of all applicants for future opportunities too.
Scoot Science is a California-based, distributed startup founded in 2017 by a team of experienced oceanographers, software engineers, and data scientists. We’re an investor backed company with a current roster of 11 employees. Our team is dedicated to illuminating the linkages between ocean conditions and the ocean economy through data analysis, visualization, and forecasting. Our goal is to give our customers the best insight into what’s currently happening, and what will be happening, in their coastal oceans.
At Scoot Science, we value ethical practices, a high quality work environment, and diversity in backgrounds and perspectives. We are personal-growth oriented and strive for a positive and inclusive culture. We promote responsible and sustainable use of our oceans.